Friday, April 5, 2013

Herbert Charles Saunders in the Mountain View Cemetery

Private H.C. Saunders
Mountain View Cemetery
Vancouver, BC, Canada

This weekend, while wandering around the Mountain View Cemetery in Vancouver searching for the grave of Herbert Charles Saunders, my great grandfather, I realized that I was in a military section of the graveyard, judging by the markings on all the headstones. Here is a photo of Herbert’s gravestone, which I was able to find fairly easily using the iCemetery app on my iPad. I had wondered why my great grandmother, Faith Saunders, was not buried with him, and the fact that he is buried with other soldiers may help to answer that question. I am supposing that the Canadian government must have paid for the burial of veterans, but not necessarily for their spouses. Faith Cook Saunders (1888 to 1974) was buried at the Ocean View Burial Park in Burnaby, where her mother, Emma Green Cook, and two of her siblings are also buried. I hope to visit there soon.

If you are interested in Herbert’s military service, please see my previous blogposts relating to his life.

You can find the www.findagrave.com memorial I created for him at:

No comments: